Tuesday, May 10, 2011

3 cuckoo marans join the 2 ameraucanas

More new chicks.

I know, I know...I know. But I happened to mention to my neighbor, the neighbor who raises hens solely for feather and egg variety, that I'd seen local sources for Cuckoo Marans, layers of deep chocolate brown eggs.
Marans eggsImage via Wikipedia
Maran eggs

Next thing I knew, the neighbor was driving out to a farm 45 minutes away. She thoughtfully brought back a few extra chicks for us to raise, as well. Our Ameraucanas were getting restless in the rabbit cage, so DH built a bigger enclosure out of some old closet doors, leftover baseboard, and a partial roll of hardware cloth. It's sturdier than our old cardboard castle and with a few modifications, should be useable as a chicken tractor later on.
So the 3-week olds have more space to move around, and the 10-day Marans are secure in the rabbit cage within the new space. We'll blend these two sets gradually, then eventually get all the hens used to each other. We have 11 older hens, the 9 March chicks in the barn, and these 2 sets of young'uns. Not the smartest set up, but I think it will all work out eventually.

And the March chicks? They're all well. This one, whose tailfeathers we've been watching grow longer and more beautiful by the day, even started crowing.

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. Deep chocolate brown?
    Even I would have been hard pressed to say 'no, thank you.' Temptations like these are hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog via Twitter! We have chickens too, 4 8 week old pullets and 2 ducklings. They are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie, look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marans.jpg
    I may have to add this link to the post! And I think I should introduce you to my enthusiastic neighbor--I have a feeling you two would get along just fine. :)

    Thanks for leaving a comment, Alice! I'm excited to go look at your blogs, too--and hope to see you on twitter soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cock-a-doodle doooo!!! Can't wait to see those chocolate eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the tiniest rooster I've ever seen : O
    He's got spunk! GREAT pic! And WOW to those eggs!! I'm starting to really want some chickens. Think I can talk J into it by next spring??

    ReplyDelete

Responses from cool people—please be sure to visit their blogs as well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...