Sunday, June 24, 2012

sam

Sam & cool kids Simon & Sophie
Two weeks ago, after more than 3 years of tweeting together, Sam and I finally met. Sam wrote about it so well on her blog, but I wanted to note it here too, as it was and will be, I'm sure, the highlight of my year.

Almost from the time Sam and I started exchanging tweets, we joked about being able to teleport into each other's homes for a cup of coffee and conversation. She came across as a warm, likable person, someone who was easy to talk to and fun to be with. More than that, she had that indefinable quality of a likeminded soul, a true friend.

It turns out that she was everything I imagined: effusive, funny, sweet, intelligent. We talked as long-lost friends right away, which felt completely natural, even as I was amazed by it. It was like we had skipped all the preliminaries of getting acquainted, going straight to the easy comfort of hanging out and cooking and laughing together; but in fact, we'd had years of conversation, brief and extended, reading each other's blogs and chatting in groups. We already knew each other.

There are all kinds of friendships: childhood pals, classmates, neighbors, fellow expats/new moms/homeschoolers. With luck, a few of them stick and become part of your lifetime community. I'm glad to now have Sam and Chris as part of mine.
twitter & irl friends Brian, Robyn, Jen, Chris, Sam, me, Lisa (photo by DH)

1 comment:

  1. I am feeling like the luckiest person in the world! Interesting that you called me intelligent. I had to look up the word effusive! Duh.

    We are already pumped about our return trip hopefully next year. There is so much to see and do there, and you and your family would be the highlight!

    Until then, see you on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete

Responses from cool people—please be sure to visit their blogs as well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...